Download Exam Manual
The CDCA Nitrous Oxide is not part of the ADEX exam. It is an optional examination offered to any eligible Dental Hygiene professional that wishes to take the exam as part of the certification process to monitor Nitrous Oxide administration. It is the responsibility of each candidate to check with their state dental board to determine if they meet all the qualifications for this certification process. Applicants must provide proof that they have graduated or in their senior or final year at an accredited Dental Hygiene Program in the U.S. or Canada. Those individuals who are still in school must provide documentation from the school that they are expected to complete all academic requirements and graduate.
Note: This credential typically comes into effect on graduation from school, so the candidate should check with their state dental board to determine how long before graduation the board will accept this examination.
The Nitrous Oxide Examination for Dental Hygienists is a 50 question multiple-choice computer based examination administered at a Prometric Testing Center. Disciplines and subject matter addressed in this examination include:
- Concepts and management of pain and anxiety
- Anatomy and physiology of respiration
- Pharmacology of Nitrous Oxide
- Medical assessment of the patient prior to using nitrous oxide
- Administration of nitrous oxide
- Management of complications and medical emergencies
- Postoperative care of the patient
A score of 75% or better is required to pass.
- Examination Fee: $135
- Please click on the following link for detailed information on how to schedule your exam with Prometric: Prometric Information