- Graduates who received a DDS or DMD degree from an accredited school in the United States or Canada.
- Senior students of record attending an accredited school in the U.S. or Canada, if taking the exam within 45 days of graduation. Also candidates entering their senior year of dental school at an accredited dental school who are applying for the CIF Format of the ADEX Dental Examination.
- Students enrolled in Advanced Standing Programs at accredited schools in the U.S. or Canada, if taking the exam within 45 days of graduation.
- Dentists approved by the Jamaican Dental Council to sit for an examination in Jamaica.
- Dentists who have not been granted a DDS or DMD degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian school. These individuals may apply and be considered for the “State-Only” Examinations offered by the CDCA pending receipt of the appropriate state authorizations. For further information, please click here: https://www.cdcaexams.org/international-dental-graduates/
Dental Hygiene Candidates:
- Graduates of accredited dental hygiene programs in the U.S. or Canada.
- Senior students of record attending an accredited dental hygiene program in the U.S. or Canada, if taking the exam within 45 days of graduation.
- Dental Hygienists approved by the Jamaican Dental Council to sit for an examination in Jamaica.
- Dental Hygienists who have not been granted a DDS or DMD degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian school. These individuals may apply and be considered for the “State-Only” Dental Hygiene Examinations offered by the CDCA pending receipt of the appropriate state authorizations. Please contact your state dental board to find out if a foreign-trained dentist will be allowed to take hygiene exams for licensure in their state. For further information, please click here.
Log into your profile, click on the “Registration” tab, and register and pay for the exams you need to retake. Click here to review exam fees: CDCA Exam Fees
Please contact a team member. Include documentation, such as a doctor’s note, accident report, family member’s death certificate, etc. If not available before the exam takes place, please send documentation as soon as possible after the exam. We will review your documentation and inform you of a final decision. If the documents provided to support your claim are approved, we will carry the fees forward and you will be allowed to take the exam at a later date. Candidates may be required to pay a processing fee or a reduced fee, depending on the circumstances.
Once you take any portion of the exam, either Dental or Dental Hygiene, you have 18 months from that date to pass all portions. If you do not pass all portions within that period, or fail a section three times, you have to take the entire exam over.
If you fail any portion of the ADEX exam three times, you will have to take the entire exam over.
Yes, as long as they meet the patient guidelines.
CIF exams are designed for current fourth-year dental students at that particular school; residents, graduate students, or faculty at those schools, will require authorization from the school. In other cases, graduated dentists should register for Traditional format exams.
CDCA does not locate patients. We suggest that you talk with your school about whether patients of record at your school are used for exams or if you need to seek an outside patient.
At this time there is no nationwide dental or dental hygiene examination. Those wishing to practice dentistry or dental hygiene must adhere to the requirements set forth by the state they wish to practice in. The CDCA cannot override state requirements.
Sharing patients, while not recommended, is permitted. You and the person you are sharing a patient with MUST contact the CDCA or the school coordinator by the registration deadline to request to be placed on opposite schedules. Requests received after the registration deadline will be denied. Once your schedule is confirmed, you must inform the Chief Examiner on the day of your scheduled exam that you are sharing a patient. Each candidate must complete an individual Medical History Form and Patient Consent Form for the patient. The shared patient’s radiographs are evaluated independently for each candidate, so each candidate must have his/her own set of qualifying radiographs in order to attempt the exam. Copying radiographs for use by a second candidate rather than re-taking the radiographs is highly recommended.
Please be advised that depending on total numbers at an exam site there may not be both a morning and afternoon session.
We can carry forward your fee to a future examination, or you may withdraw and if eligible, receive a refund. For either option a $100 processing fee will apply. You have up until 72 hours before the first exam day to contact a team member to request a forward or withdrawal; after that, we cannot process such requests. * Please note: All request for date change are subject to capacity/available space and whether or not the future location you select is willing to accept your registration.